Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Things My Jobs Have Had In Common (Part 1)

Sectioned into Parts because Blogger is being beyond fucktastic the past couple days and refuses to load any more than about five or so pictures.

Minus inescapable poverty.

Shitty Customers
I cashiered one Christmas Eve and the store I worked for closed at the unholy hour of nine P.M. At 9:15, there were still people in the store, and my manager was trying to get everyone out. When my coworkers finished with their lines, they shut down their registers in a hurry and ran to the back to cash out and leave. Soon, I was alone with my final customer who would not leave due to a most dire situation.





My very first job was at a bakery that tanked nine months after I started working there. Sundays were usually slow enough that one person was scheduled for the day, and on my first Sunday alone, I was introduced to Retail As An Entity.





2 comments:

Wenny said...

Something I always loved hearing from old ladies at my register after closing: "Wait, I think I have the correct change... *shuffle dig paw* What is it, again, 43 cents? Let me see... *dig dig rummage* Oh, here's a penny...*shake shake rummage* And another... Isn't that funny, I can hear the coins jingling in there... where are they! *dig, paw* Oh darn this purse..." Then they'd dump the contents of their entire handbag on my counter, sending Wrigley's gum and used kleenex flying everywhere, and ten minutes later, they'd announce "Oh well. Just put it on my card."

Jessica Mclain said...

All of this has been my life...../cry